display

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Fri Jan 27 13:31:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 14:13 +0100, brouwers roland lx wrote:
> To login to my application I use Putty. To display a picture I do a
> systemcall, which opens a shell, and launch : 'display mypicture.jpg'.
> I get the answer : display: unable to open X server
> How can I get around this?

Hi Roland,

If you are using putty, I presume you are doing this from Windows.

To do what you want to do, you will need to run a X-server on your
windows PC. I'm a bit rusty on what is available (not being a windows
user), but if you google for "windows X server" you should find
something.

Once you have an X server running on your Windows PC, you then need to
make sure that the X server allows connections from the client (the
Linux machine). To do this, use the "xhost" command. Eg. xhost linuxpc.

To ensure the Linux PC knows how to display it's running application on
your Windows PC's X server, either use the "-Y" option to ssh (trusted
X11 forwarding) if putty supports this, or set the "DISPLAY" environment
variable the the hostname and display of your Windows PC's X server. Eg.

export DISPLAY=winders:0

Good luck - this info plus some googling should get you there. You can
also look at the man pages on the linux machine for xhost and ssh. Ie.
"man ssh", and "man xhost".

Cheers, Ben