Copy & paste

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 14:22:04 UTC 2006

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote: On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 11:39 +0000, Chris Norman wrote:
> How do I copy & paste from the command line? So I can copy commands
> from documents (in nano for example), and paste them into the command
> line?
>
> I'm using SSH to connect.

Many things let you drag and select with the left mouse button, and
what's left highlighted is copied into a buffer.  Then, you paste with
the middle mouse button.

This doesn't work with everything, though.  Sometimes right-clicking
into the highlighted text and choosing "copy" from a pop-up menu does
the trick.
Yeah, <sometimes> 'alt c' will copy, 'alt x' delete and 'alt v' will paste, but not all the time. We had a helluva time with Oracle not accepting copy/paste from an app like Netscape. It would accept cut/paste from Abiword, which would accept from Netscape... so Abiword became sort of a scratch-pad between the two. Go figure. MicroSoft's greatest strength is all their apps ( I say this from my limited knowledge on the matter) seem to accept another's cut/paste. But most commandline edits will accept the alt keys and/or the mouse clicks as
Tim pointed out. If you have a two button mouse, you can set up your mouse (mouse config) to use both mouse keys held down, at the same time, as the third button. 3 button mice are cheap.  <g> Ric

   ...the Sin of Ignorance, and
   ...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/