display

brouwers roland lx roland at cat.be
Fri Jan 27 18:05:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 00:31 +1100, Ben Stringer wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 14:13 +0100, brouwers roland lx wrote:
> > To login to my application I use Putty. To display a picture I do a
> > systemcall, which opens a shell, and launch : 'display mypicture.jpg'.
> > I get the answer : display: unable to open X server
> > How can I get around this?
>
> Hi Roland,
>
> If you are using putty, I presume you are doing this from Windows.
>
> To do what you want to do, you will need to run a X-server on your
> windows PC. I'm a bit rusty on what is available (not being a windows
> user), but if you google for "windows X server" you should find
> something.
>
> Once you have an X server running on your Windows PC, you then need to
> make sure that the X server allows connections from the client (the
> Linux machine). To do this, use the "xhost" command. Eg. xhost linuxpc.
>
> To ensure the Linux PC knows how to display it's running application on
> your Windows PC's X server, either use the "-Y" option to ssh (trusted
> X11 forwarding) if putty supports this, or set the "DISPLAY" environment
> variable the the hostname and display of your Windows PC's X server. Eg.
>
> export DISPLAY=winders:0
>
> Good luck - this info plus some googling should get you there. You can
> also look at the man pages on the linux machine for xhost and ssh. Ie.
> "man ssh", and "man xhost".
>
> Cheers, Ben
Dear Ben,
Thank you for your answer.
I am not using windows. I am starting putty on the Linux-Centos-desktop
of a Ltsp installation. I connect to my database, running on application
that wants to display pictures, belonging to some data. When I do a
system I get out of my application to the Linux shell, running display
and going back to may application, after the display.

AS x-window is not my thing, I do not understand how to switch to a
window where Linux can execute the display-command. Because if you open
a standard-terminal-window on the desktop, this command works.

Roland