FC4 hang/interpret slabtop

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Sat Jan 28 04:57:42 UTC 2006

ptfedora3 at majordomo.thedacare.org wrote:
> I have a FC4 machine which hangs frequently.
>
> It does a *lot* of logging from a remote syslog.  It can hang at
> unpredictable times, but will also usually become unresponsive around the
> time when logrotate tries to rotate syslogs.  My suspicion is there is
> something wrong somewhere between the kernel and syslogd.
>
> I have tried looking at slabtop to see if things are running out of room
> in the kernel.  I still think this is the case, but can't find any
> authoritative source on increasing them to compensate.
>
> Here is a view of my slabtop sorted by percentage used:
> Things don't look right to me: there seem to be a lot of things at 100%
> but my efforts to increase them by writing new values into /proc/slabinfo
> are either wrong or ineffective.  Any thoughts?
>

> [root at syslogger ~]# slabtop
>  Active / Total Objects (% used)    : 53671 / 74663 (71.9%)
>  Active / Total Slabs (% used)      : 3335 / 3337 (99.9%)
>  Active / Total Caches (% used)     : 85 / 123 (69.1%)
>  Active / Total Size (% used)       : 9067.80K / 13123.39K (69.1%)
>  Minimum / Average / Maximum Object : 0.01K / 0.17K / 128.00K
<snipped>

Looks the same here- I'd never heard of slabtop before, where did you
hear about it? Anyway, I get much the same data you do on my system
(P3/1GHz/256Mb), but it's my regular desktop. I've seen mention of ACPI
issues on this list which may cause lockups, as well as memory problems
(have you run memtest86 on the system?).

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.