Procmail recipes

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 09:11:09 UTC 2006

On Saturday 28 Jan 2006 08:42, jdow wrote:

> Is there a possible conflict with the contents of that file and of a
> global /etc/procmailrc?

I think that if there is a conflict at all it will be in a setting
within dovecot.conf.

> Are you sure THIS procmail shown is the one
> actually being used? That is to say is this running as you as a user
> or is it being run from a jail as nobody or something like that?
>
> One way to be sure the above procmail is being used is this little
> snip.
>
> :0 fw
> :
> | formail -A "X-Anne: user $LOGNAME"
>
> I suspect this file is getting used if mail turns up in the rigt
> place.
>

> Waitaminit - This whole thing is about moving from mbox format on one
> machine to Maildir on another, right? We've been doing this the hard
> way sorta kinds.
>
> # cd /usr/share/doc/dovecot-*
> # vi REDHAT-FAQ.txt
>
> Read the first entry. It details how to do it.
> ===8<---
> Q. We used to use University of Washington IMAP (UW IMAP), in the Red
>    Hat distribution, the rpm was named "imap". We would now like to
> use dovecot and take advantage of its support for Maildir format, but
> we have existing user mail files in the old mbox format we need to
> migrate. How can we do this?
>
> A. Read the documentation in
>    /usr/share/doc/dovecot-*/UW-to-Dovecot-Migration. You will also
>    find scripts there to help you.
> ===8<---
>
> But of course, "That's cheating!"

I had been through and through the documentation on the dovecot wiki,
and completely forgot that there would be other documentation
in /usr/share/doc.  Duh!

I'll work my way through that and let you know what happens.  Thanks for
the prod ;-)

Anne