reading a 32-fat HD with fedora

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Jan 28 13:50:15 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 14:07 +0100, umberto rossi wrote:
> Il sab, 2006-01-28 alle 12:41, Tim ha scritto:
> > On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 20:46 +0100, umberto rossi wrote:
> > Read the fstab man file, and you can work out what the options are for.
> >
> > > mistakes in the fstab file can be rather dangerous, so I need precise
> > > indications.
> >
> > Not really.  It's more of a risk if you modify the mount points that you
> > need to use the PC, rather than extra ones for your own purposes.  But
> > it's not too hard to recover from any mistakes that you make.  Backup
> > the file first, to be sure.
>
> I just inserted this line:
>
> /dev/hdb1		/mnt/home/berto/ubik	vfat 	defaults, user	0 0

1)  I don't really think the directory /mnt/home/berto/ubik exists
unless you explicitly created it.  This part must point to an already
existing location.

2)  You CANNOT have spaces in the options portion of the line.  That
part should be "defaults,user" if you really want the defaults part.  In
most cases "user" has the same effect.

Read the man page for fstab to find out what each field does.  These are
data fields separated by white space, and there must be exactly 6 fields
on each line in fstab.