reading a 32-fat HD with fedora

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 28 14:02:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 14:07 +0100, umberto rossi wrote:
> I just inserted this line:
>
> /dev/hdb1               /mnt/home/berto/ubik    vfat    defaults,
> user  0 0
>
> And rebooted the system after having saved the fstab file, and got no
> result. I wonder whether the problem is the "vfat" value, as I found
> no mention of it in the man file. Could it me I should specify "ext"
> or "ext2" instead? Or the problem is the part after mnt? (I have
> already tried without /mnt and it doesn't work)

As an experiment, change the "vfat" to "auto" and let Linux try and work
it out for itself.  No reboot will be necessary.  Just type the
following into the console, and see what you get:

  mount /mnt/home/berto/ubik

  ls /mnt/home/berto/ubik

If you get a listing of files, it's mounted.  Just typing the "mount"
command into the console will show you the mounted drives, and it'll
also show what filesystem they're mounted as after the word "type".

You can just leave the fstab file set to "auto" discover the filesystem
type, if it works.

I read messages from the public lists.