Laptop touchpad problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jan 28 18:33:26 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> My old laptop doesn't have a key bound to toggling the touchpad, and I
> do prefer to work with a mouse.  Is there any software solution to
> this?  I really want to touchpad off by default.
>
> Anne

It depends on the laptop. If the touchpad can be turned off with
software, there may be support for it. But it is laptop dependent.
A lot of laptops can also be configured in the BIOS to turn off
the touchpad when you have a PS/2 mouse plugged in. (Some of the
newer ones may also turn it off with a USB mouse, but I have not
run into this - I don't get to play with new laptops...)

I could not find the bookmark with the listing of the different
laptop configuration software, but you could do a search on
your laptop brand on Freshmeat. ( http://freshmeat.net )

Mikkel