Laptop touchpad problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 18:42:30 UTC 2006

On Saturday 28 Jan 2006 18:33, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > My old laptop doesn't have a key bound to toggling the touchpad,
> > and I do prefer to work with a mouse.  Is there any software
> > solution to this?  I really want to touchpad off by default.
> >
> > Anne
>
> It depends on the laptop. If the touchpad can be turned off with
> software, there may be support for it. But it is laptop dependent.
> A lot of laptops can also be configured in the BIOS to turn off
> the touchpad when you have a PS/2 mouse plugged in. (Some of the
> newer ones may also turn it off with a USB mouse, but I have not
> run into this - I don't get to play with new laptops...)
>
> I could not find the bookmark with the listing of the different
> laptop configuration software, but you could do a search on
> your laptop brand on Freshmeat. ( http://freshmeat.net )

There are a couple of projects for configuring touchpads, but they are
for synaptic touchpads.  I think those are on newer laptops than this.
My newer laptop has a synaptic touchpad, but there FnF7 toggles it on
and off.  I was hoping that someone knew of a package that could
intercept the signal somehow.  Ah well....

Thanks

Anne