Laptop touchpad problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jan 28 19:28:26 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:

> There are a couple of projects for configuring touchpads, but they are
> for synaptic touchpads.  I think those are on newer laptops than this.
> My newer laptop has a synaptic touchpad, but there FnF7 toggles it on
> and off.  I was hoping that someone knew of a package that could
> intercept the signal somehow.  Ah well....
>
> Thanks
>
> Anne

One thing I have done in the past was to use GPM as the mouse
driver. It has a mode were it creates a device that X uses as
its mouse, and then GPM talks to the mouse itself. You can change
the mouse device that GPM reads "on the fly", or have it read
more then one mouse, and combined them to one output. It will
handle mice with different protocols, and convert as necessary.

Mikkel