Procmail recipes

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Sat Jan 28 19:50:31 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:

>On Friday 27 Jan 2006 21:58, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>

>>Am Fr, den 27.01.2006 schrieb Anne Wilson um 22:17:
>>

>Hi, Alexander.  Thanks for replying.
>

>>1st note: wanting Maildir storage with Procmail you _must_ give the
>>target a path with a trailing slash. Without the trailing slash
>>Procmail will store in mbox format.
>>

>I started from there, but then read that it should not have one - much
>of the documentation around doesn't make it clear when it's dealing
>with mbox and when it's addressing maildir.
>

>>2nd note: using a variable the syntax is i.e. ${MAILDIR}
>>

>Sorry - typo when copying the output onto this box.
>

>>>Every time, I get the message appended to a text file, as though it
>>>was an mbox file, in ~/Maildir.
>>>

>>See above. 3 of your test syntax lines are wrong because of missing
>>trailing slash. The one with the trailing slash writes should have
>>written into directory "Design" as a maildir, though the path is not
>>the one you expect it to be; i.e. if you specified
>>"MAILDIR=/home/awilson/Mail/", then the result would have been
>>"/{/home/awilson/Mail/}Design".
>>
>>Following should work as expected:
>>
>>###
>>
>>MAILDIR=/home/awilson/Mail/
>>DEFAULT=$MAILDIR
>>
>>:0
>>
>>* ^To:.*design at lydgate.org
>>$MAILDIR/Design/
>>

>Hmm - I must still be missing something.  Now I'm getting a mbox-style
>file called msg.fYY in ~/Maildir/.INBOX.Design - and of course the
>message doesn't show up in my folders.  Here is the whole of
>the .procmailrc as it stands at the moment.  Can you spot the pebcak?
>Thanks.
>*****
>#These assume that mail is already tagged on injection
>SHELL=/bin/sh
>PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
>
>#Set user variable
>USER=`anne`
>
>#Set user Inbox directory
>MAILDIR=/home/anne/Maildir/
>DEFAULT=$MAILDIR
>
>#Set logfile
>LOGFILE=/home/anne/pm.log
>VERBOSE=YES
>LOGABSTRACT=YES
>
>LOG="
>"
>
>###For maildir, ensure that all recipe commands end with '/'###
>
># Create a safety net
>
>:0 c
>$MAILDIR/backup/
>
>#Start real recipes
>
>:0
>* ^To:.*design at lydgate.org
>  $MAILDIR/Design/
>*****
>
>Anne

I've been working on procmail scripts today also, and I believe I've
solved my problem (and you were having the same problem as me). The
messages actually need to be put in the 'new' subdirectory. For example,
if you're trying to put messages in your Design folder under the Inbox,
instead of...

    :0
    * ^To:.*design at lydgate.org
    ${MAILDIR}/Design/

...it should be...

    :0
    * ^To:.*design at lydgate.org
    ${MAILDIR}/.INBOX.Design/new

or it could be just '/.Design/new' if the Design folder is a top level
folder. Anyway, I hope this helps you.

Justin Willmert