Swapping module load order in anaconda.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jan 29 02:06:08 UTC 2006

I have a server with two SCSI adapters, one hard drive on each adapter.  The
first adapter seen by BIOS at power-on is an Adaptec, and the Adaptec's hard
drive becomes the boot drive.  The hard drive attached to the other adapter,
which is the second adapter seen by BIOS, has an install of Fedora Core 1,
that I'm trying to upgrade to FC4.  I don't recall the exact brand name of
this card, but its module is atp870u.o.

I could not load FC2 or FC3 on this machine because the atp870u.o module in
early 2.6 kernels for some reason did not see the hard drive with the FC1
install, that was attached to this card.

Now, I tried to boot FC4's installer on this box, and lo-and-behold,
atp870u.o has been fixed (my thanks to the whoever is the nameless soul that
fixed this module), but there's now an anaconda-specific issue.

FC1's anaconda loaded aic7xxx first, then atp870u.  That matched the order
the cards are initialized by BIOS at power-on.  aic7xxx's boot drive was
/dev/sda, and atp870u's hard drive, with FC1, was /dev/sdb, as it should.

But now, FC4's anaconda loads atp870u's first, then aic7xxx; with the end
result is that the drives mappings are reversed, sda swapped places with
sdb.

What's the magic voodoo incantation to get FC4's anaconda to load aic7xxx
first, then atp870u?  I'm using the ol' "use-grub-to-load-pxeboot" trick to
start the installer.