FC 4 Networking bridge

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 29 05:15:56 UTC 2006

Mark wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> The idea was to try and test the throughput from server 1 to server 2
> via the cisco and still be able to access the cisco on its public IP as
> another thing we want to test is pptp vpn and ipsec access (doing that
> using NAT and server 1 as the access IP would create more headaches than
> solve.
>
> We would have rpeferred to all the testing with the server nicely racked
> up with all being able to do everything remotely, but I think I may give
> that up as a bad idea and do the vpn testing and throughput testing as 2
> separate set ups.
>
> Ah well, back to the drawing board for me. :)
>
> Thanks again
>
> Mark

If I understand what you are trying to do, you may want to install
the bridge-util package, and read the howto there. What you can do
is make a bridge out of eth0 and eth1. The only thing is that they
will share the same IP address, instead of 2 consecutive IP
addresses. (In other words, you would use the same IP address from
the Internet, and from the cisco. You would also be able to access
the cisco from the Internet. By bridging the two interfaces, traffic
for the cisco will transparently pass through server 1.

Mikkel