Install over NFS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 16:41:52 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 09:48, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > > Having the ISO files on the target server is not enough.
> > > You'll need to unpack the ISO into a single directory and point the
> > > anaconda to that destination.
> >
> > I thought that NFS installs would only use ISO files on the server?
> > Granted that you've got to have the installation routines available as
> > files on the machine that you're going to install onto, but it accessed
> > the disk images remotely.
> >
> > To install from a directory tree of installation RPMs over a network, I
> > had to use the HTTP method.
> >

> I've been told, that NFS install can handle packed ISO. (Though it never
> worked for me).
> I've been doing nfs installs since RH7.x; always unpacking the RPMs (and
> base image) before the installation, and it never failed. (Both on
> RHEL/CENTOS and FC)

How did it fail for you?  I'm not sure RH7.x did it, but all
subsequent RH/Fedora versions should work by simply
downloading the iso images into an NFS-exported directory,
burning only the 1st CD to boot, entering 'linux askmethod'
at the boot prompt and picking nfs as the method.  You
can also boot from a USB flash drive with a copy of the
diskboot.img file from the images directory on the 1st
CD.  You do have to use a boot image that matches
the install set.  It is so much faster and easier than
the other ways that I rarely install any other way.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com