can an access point connect through an access point?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 29 19:12:55 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 11:03 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun January 29 2006 9:27 am, Craig White wrote:
> > If the second AP has a 'bridging mode' which would allow it to bridge
> > via wireless to the first AP, that is what you apparently need.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9eohr
> The second graphic on this page perfectly portrays my topology except that
> there's only a single machine connected to the secondary AP. According to
> this page, "it probably won't work" - but a little further down, a post
> states that "some AP's can be configured to act as a repeater or wireless
> bridge, but it's fairly rare."
> It that's true, there doesn't seem to be any way of configuring this D-Link to
> be a wireless bridge or repeater, unless I'm missing something in the
> translation...
-----
make sure that you've installed the latest firmware updates on the
D-Link AP - perhaps they've added features since the device left the
factory.

I am presuming that it is the D-Link that you wish to put into a
'bridging' mode - that is, wirelessly connect to another AP.

There is hardware to do that - but that doesn't mean that your device is
capable of it or not capable of it. I simply don't know.

I believe that their DWL-G710 Wireless Range Extender can do what you
want...

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=357

Craig