FC4 - SERIOUS problem with GRUB. How can I solve this?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 29 20:37:43 UTC 2006

Hoffmann wrote:
> In order to try to solve my previous problem (see the
> posting below), I decided to delete my Fedora
> partition by using the program Partition Magic. My
> goal was after deleting the linux partition, reformat
> it, and reinstall Fedora. However, after the deleting
> process (and rebooting it to Windows), all I got was a
> GRUB propmt:
>
> grub>_
>
> This way, I cannot go back to Windows in order to
> recreate the linux partition. I also cannot either
> reinstall Fedora or restore Windows as it was when I
> bought the machine.

I don't follow you: why can't you reinstall Fedora?

But if you have a Windows 95 or Windows 98 boot floppy, boot from it and
run
fdisk /mbr

If you have a Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD, see for example
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ldau.asp

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | As Tim switched off the engine, opened the driver's
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | door, undid his seat belt and fell out of the tree,