FC4 - SERIOUS problem with GRUB. How can I solve this?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 29 20:42:39 UTC 2006

Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> In order to try to solve my previous problem (see the
> posting below), I decided to delete my Fedora
> partition by using the program Partition Magic. My
> goal was after deleting the linux partition, reformat
> it, and reinstall Fedora. However, after the deleting
> process (and rebooting it to Windows), all I got was a
> GRUB propmt:
>
> grub>_
>
> This way, I cannot go back to Windows in order to
> recreate the linux partition. I also cannot either
> reinstall Fedora or restore Windows as it was when I
> bought the machine.
>
> Could anyone, please, let me know how could I solve
> this issue?
>
> Thanks!
> Hoffmann

For XP, you need to boot the XP CD, pick the recovery console,
and run fixmbr. For older versions of Windows, you need a DOS
prompt and run "fdisk /mbr". The problem is that you have deleted
the Grub second stage loader. So you will need to install the
default Windows boot loader to get Windows to boot.

Mikkel