FC4 - SERIOUS problem with GRUB. How can I solve this?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jan 29 20:44:40 UTC 2006

Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> In order to try to solve my previous problem (see the
> posting below), I decided to delete my Fedora
> partition by using the program Partition Magic. My
> goal was after deleting the linux partition, reformat
> it, and reinstall Fedora. However, after the deleting
> process (and rebooting it to Windows), all I got was a
> GRUB propmt:

The reason for the grub error is because when you changed the
partitions, grub was on the partition that you changed. Grub loads in
stages, s you probable only have the early stages which are in the
Master boot Record.
Another note is that Linux is capable to make its own partitions and
external programs are not needed. You might need to reinstall Linux with
the install discs and let Linux correct the grub factorS (early stages
of grub) and correct the partitions. There is a choice in the installer
to remove linux partitions and then you could let the installer install
them instead of depending on your partition magician.

I take it that you have no install discs for Windows. If you did, you
could choose repair console and run fixmbr and fixboot to put things in
a state for windows to boot again.

I am guessing that your filesystem errors were due to the use of an
external program to create your partitions instead of the Linux
installation discs.

Jim

--
Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
	-- ksh at cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93