Looking for a database

Thomas Springer th.springer at gmx.net
Sun Jan 29 20:51:39 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 29.01.2006, 20:20 +0000 schrieb Paul Smith:

> $ postgres
> postgres does not know where to find the server configuration file.
> You must specify the --config-file or -D invocation option or set the
> PGDATA environment variable.
> $
>
> I guess I have not configured the server. How can I do that? Or where
> can I find appropriate documentation?
>
> Paul

You asked for a well documented dbms, right?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/index.html

What RPMs have you installed? Did you use yum and fc-repos?

To start|stop the backend as root:
# service postgresql start|stop
Start|Stop when booting in runlevel 5:
# chkconfig --level 5 postgresql on|off
To start as postgres
% export PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data
% pg_ctl start 1> /var/lib/pgsql/postmaster.log 2>&1 &
In homedir of postgres you will find a logfile from the initdb.
Have a look, it tells you how to start
To stop as postgres
% pg_ctl stop -w
See pg_ctl --help
To connect to backend there is a nice command:
% psql template1
See psql --help

HTH
Thomas