can an access point connect through an access point?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 14:21:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 07:42, Claude Jones wrote:

> > A switch or hub is simply a connection point on a single network. No
> > bridging or routing is involved.
> Here's where my knowledge tells me different. I thought a switch did do some
> simple routing. Doesn't a switch "remember" destinations that are on the
> local subnet, and build up tables, only routing signal through that are not
> destined for the local destination?

The distinction is fuzzy because there are some expensive devices
called 'layer 3 switches' that understand IP addresses and can
do some routing and filtering based on them.  However what is
normally called a switch works at the network layer 2, using
only ethernet MAC addresses.  They learn the hardware addresses
of the connected devices as packets are sent from them and once
a destination is known they will only forward packets to that
destination out the correct port.  However, they flood broadcast,
multicast, and unknown MAC destinations to all ports so the
filtering is transparent.  They don't know anything about
IP addresses or subnets, though - this is all using the
hardware address built into every ethernet device.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com