yum install vnc failure - missing dependencies - libavcodec

B Wooster bwooster47 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:42:32 UTC 2006

Thanks for the "yum provides" tip, I was eventually able to make this work.

Uninstalled ffmpeg.i386, and then installing vlc.i386 got everything
installed (ffmpeg, gsm, vlc), with all libraries.

I've a i386 system, not x86_64, and I tried:
yum provides libavcodec.so.51

Which told me
ffmpeg.i386                              0.4.9-0.lvn.0.20.20051 livna-stable
Matched from:
/usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51
libavcodec.so.51

There is no such file - libavcodec.so.51 on my system, even though
I've ffmpeg installed, doing a "yum install ffmpeg.i386" gives:
Nothing to do

But I suspected that was the root of the problem - when I try to run
ffmpeg, I get this error:
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libpostproc.so.0: cannot

So, I there is something wrong with the ffmpeg install....

Did this to fix it:
yum erase ffmpeg.i386
yum install vlc.i386