Autorun at startup

Tony Dietrich td at transoft-adsl.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 19:20:42 UTC 2006

On Monday 30 Jan 2006 18:47, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Whenever I boot my elderly laptop (FC4 + kde) I see an autorun tab
> appear on the taskbar, and an icon with a disc on my pointer.  This
> goes on for several seconds.  Is that normal?  The price of a slow
> laptop?  Or something that needs configuring out?
>
> Anne

Anne

This is normal.  Of course, the faster the system, the less noticeable it is,
but each time KDE starts up, it tries to run several things for you:
1/ Services that you have asked to start up every time you start the system
(You may see some of these installing themselves in your taskbar as icons
each time you log in)
2/ Programs that were running last time you logged out and which have
registered themself with KDE to be restarted the next time you log in.

Autorun is the process that controls these programs/services at log in time.

HTH

TD