can an access point connect through an access point?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jan 31 01:28:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 08:42 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Mon January 30 2006 5:29 am, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On all the different models I have used (D-link, LinkSys, Netgear, among
> > others), the LAN (wired and wireless) side is a switch, *not bridged*.
> > Lets be sure the proper terminology is used here.
> >
> > Bridging gives two or more physical ports (usually limited to two) the
> > same IP address, and makes it transparent to other machines unless
> > something is sent explicitly to that address. The physical network
> > segment on both sides is 'bridged' and it becomes one contiguous
> > network.  Anything addressed to another IP address than the local one is
> > simply passed through - totally transparent.
> >
> Thanks for this explanation - it clears up a question I've had for some time
>
> > Routing keeps both sides distinct separate networks and only passes
> > packets through if they are destined for something on the other side of
> > the router.
> >
> > A switch or hub is simply a connection point on a single network. No
> > bridging or routing is involved.
> Here's where my knowledge tells me different. I thought a switch did do some
> simple routing. Doesn't a switch "remember" destinations that are on the
> local subnet, and build up tables, only routing signal through that are not
> destined for the local destination?

A switch is more intelligent than a hub.  A hub just passes everything
it receives on one port to all other ports.
A switch learns what is attached to it, and only sends out on a port
those packets that are addressed to the attached device.  As such it
reduces network traffic to all attached devices by not sending
unnecessary packets on any single port, but it does not do routing.
All a switch knows is the specific IP and MAC address of the attached
device -- Nothing else.