Help configuring RAID0 - dmraid with SATA II drives and nvidianforce 410

Debbie Deutsch fedoralist at ddeutsch.org
Tue Jan 31 04:17:37 UTC 2006

> > The hard drives are brand new.  There is no data or partitions from
> > other operating systems to preserve.
>
> In that case, forget dmraid and use the native RAID setup in
> Disk Druid instead. Dmraid exists only for dual-boot
> compatibility with Windows.
>
> > A) is there any way at all (from inside FC4 when it is running or
> > during install) to get at the raid array that I have made
> in the BIOS?
>
> If dmraid doesn't see it, then no.
>
> > B) if the answer to the above is no, and I need to disable
> RAID in the
> > BIOS, do I still use dmraid (because the nv_sata driver is
> involved)
> > to set up the array under FC4?
>
> No, dmraid isn't used at all if you choose to use native
> software RAID.
>
> --
>  Markku Kolkka
>  markku.kolkka at iki.fi

Thanks, Markku.  Since my original post I have discovered that the FC5
installer will have greater support for "fake RAID", including my system's
chipset.  The FC5 installer recognized the RAID array I had configured in
BIOS and just did the right thing, including letting me boot from the RAID
array.  So, I am thinking of just waiting six weeks and working off the
external USB drive in the interim.

Debbie