Starting a service at bootup

Aaron Konstam akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Jan 31 11:40:35 UTC 2006

> Anne Wilson wrote:
>> I have installed popfile, which has a startup script in /etc/init.d.  At
>> the moment when I boot up I can start popfile running with 'service
>> popfile start'.
>>
>> I want this to be an automatic startup but I've got a total blank on how
>> to achieve this.  Could someone please prompt me?  Thanks
>
> If the initscript has been written to support chkconfig, then:
>
> # chkconfig popfile on
>
> should do the trick.
>
> Try:
>
> # chkconfig popfile --list
>
> to see the startup status for each runlevel.

However, for this to work you need to add a special header to the file in
/etc/init.d specifying at what run levels and in what order you want the
script to run. Look at other files in this directory to see examples of
the header lines you need to add.

--
Aaron Konstam
Professor Emeritus, Computer Science