OT: Email signing

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jan 31 21:12:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 14:55 -0600, Michael Yep wrote:
> This did not sign properly
> I got a message : gpg command line and output:,C:\\gnupg\\gpg.exe
> --charset utf8  --batch --no-tty --status-fd 2 --verify,gpg: CRC error;
> c8aba6 - dc3c8a,gpg: quoted printable character in armor - probably a
> buggy MTA has been used

	Hmmm...  What MUA where you using?

	This looks to be a "Content-Transfer-Encoding" issue.  If it's not
nested the GPG signature has no MIME "Content-Transfer-Encoding".  If
it's nested within an S/MIME signed wrapping, it's been set to and
encoded "Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable".  The encoding is
correct but your MUA failed to unencode it before trying to verify it.
So GPG complains that it ran into a quoted-printable escape, which it
did (but it's certainly not the MTA's fault here).  So the question is,
did Evolution make an error when it encoded the GPG signature
quoted-printable or did the receiving MUA make the error when it failed
to honor it.  This is exactly the kind of compatibility errors one might
expect.