belkin wireless g+ desktop card support?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Jan 31 21:17:13 UTC 2006

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> Some (Japan?) only a couple of channels.  I've seen frequency control
> cited more often than power limits as the reason.  After all, you can
> tack on an amplifier, range extenders (repeaters) or high gain antenna's
> (for cards which accept external antenna) for more ERP (Effective
> Radiated Power).

I had an interesting chat with Eric Blossom of the Gnu Radio project
over new year's.  He had given an interesting talk about passive radar,
using FM radio stations as the illumination and trying to divine echos.

He seemed to believe the story that there were regulatory issues with
Open wireless drivers, specifically the frequency control stuff, but he
had an interesting take on why the Graphics cards manufacturers insist
on closed drivers, which may be the same reason for the dismal situation
for manufacturer-created Open drivers.  He had heard that it was because
the various graphics card manufacturers are infringing each others'
patents left and right, and if they put the source out there it will
invite horrible things to happen to them.

-Andy