Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466N-4M), 3com 3c966B-T and FC4

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Jul 21 00:52:29 UTC 2006

Trying to get the subject combination to work.  The driver keeps failing
to load with the following error as reported by dmesg:

tg3.c:v3.59 (June 8, 2006)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 193
tg3_test_dma() buffer corrupted on read back! (262177 != 1)
tg3: DMA engine test failed, aborting.

lspci -v shows this NIC as:

00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5701
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 15)
      Subsystem: 3Com Corporation 3C996B-T 1000Base-T
      Flags: 66Mhz, medium devsel, IRQ 193
      Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
      [virtual] Expansion ROM at 88100000 [disabled] [size=64K]
      Capabilities: [40] PCI-X non-bridge device.
      Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
      Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/3
Enable-

I just bought the 3C996B-T in an attempt to deal with a slow transmits
with a 3com 3C2000-T in this same box.  Some Google searches indicate
quite a bit of discussion concerning a similar issue in 2003 but nothing
that provided either definitive resolution or a fix.  The closest was a
suggestion to disable the "memory hole" in the BIOS (was not initially
enabled) so I tried the other possible settings but with no improvement.

One Google hit I found was a series of performance benchmarks that
included this same combination of NIC and motherboard but it was fairly
old based on the benchmark only including Windows 2000 and not Windows
XP.  This would seem to indicate that it was possible to get the subject
combination to work at one time.  Any help or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce