Automounting a usb stick happens differently on two systems

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Mon Jul 24 22:45:55 UTC 2006

I have two FC4 installations.  On one, when inserting a USB stick, I get
a nice Icon on my KDE desktop.  I can right click it and "Mount" the
stick and it mounts on /media/usbdisk.  On the other system, the stick
is recognized, at least I see it in the /var/log/messages file as
/dev/sda1 but I don't get a USB Icon on my desktop. So I have to mount
it by hand.

Where is the configuration file for this operation so I may make both
machines operate the same?  I know I could add some stuff to /etc/fstab
to do this, but the machine that does it automatically does NOT have
anything in the fstab file for mounting the USB stick.  Both machines
were installed the same.

Regards

Doug P