Checking internet connection without a winbox

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 20:14:28 UTC 2006

On 02/07/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd consider 'none' to be normal.  But keep in mind that you are
> always testing the whole round trip even though it is only
> reported as the path to something.  If something nearby is
> dropping packets it is probably also responsible for the
> ones reported on the path to more distant things.  Clean up
> the problem with your router before looking anywhere else.

Up until here, everything is clear. I also agree that the router
shouldn't be droping packets.

> If you are dropping packets on your ethernet connection to
> your own router, you almost certainly have a duplex mismatch
> on the switch connection to the router or pc.

Huh? Do you mean a twisted cable (I don't know how you call them in
English, but it's the cable that you use to connect two computers
together instead of computer-router) instead of a regular cable? I'm
pretty sure that it's a regular cable, but I'll check that.

> If it is on the T1 side, it is probably overloaded.

For the time being, I've only one machine on the router. So I'm
modem-router-linbox. Which side is T1?

> Look for compromised
> machines spreading viruses/spam or file sharing.

The only machine on this network at the moment is this linbox. It's a
week-old install at that.

> Do you
> have access to the router to see the interface statistics
> for traffic and errors?

Yes, I've access to the router, and I just enabled the log. It was
apparently disabled until now. This is a home network and I've access
to all the equiptment.

Thank you, Les. I appreciate the time you take to help.

Dotan Cohen
http://ie-only.com