Kyum: /var/log/yum.log, could not be opened for reading.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jul 3 14:10:58 UTC 2006

ron wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 15:24 -0400
>
> ron wrote:
>
>  >> Hello,
>
>  >> Kyum says "/var/log/yum.log  could not be opened for reading.".
>
>  >> I can view the yum.log outside of kyum.
>
>  >> Can anyone help?
>
>  >> -ron-
>
> ON Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:56:32 +0100
>
> Paul wrote:
>
>  > If you have SELinux in enforcing mode, what's the output of:
>
>  > # ls -lZ /var/log/yum.log $(which kyum)
>
>  > Paul.
>
> Paul,
>
> SELinux is in enforcing mode.
>
> The output of:
>
> # ls -lZ /var/log/yum.log $(which kyum)
>
> IS:
>
> [root at corefive ~]# ls -lZ /var/log/yum.log $(which kyum)
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  root root system_u:object_r:bin_t          /usr/bin/kyum
>
> -rw-------  root root system_u:object_r:rpm_log_t      /var/log/yum.log
>
> [root at corefive ~]#

Hmm, it appears that kyum is just a GUI front-end for yum (i.e. it
invokes yum itself to do the work), compared with say yumex, which uses
yum APIs but not the yum executable itself. So kyum doesn't need the
same SELinux context as yum, unlike yumex. Apart, that is, from the need
to read rpm/yum log files.

So give this a try:

# chcon -t rpm_exec_t /usr/bin/kyum

Then try kyum again, and make sure it still works OK for
installing/removing packages (try it on something you don't care much
about), as well as being able to read the yum log.

Paul.