Use of Cups printing in a home network.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jul 4 22:31:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 16:25 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 08:40 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> > Tim wrote:

> I am getting closer to solving my home network printing configuration
> problem but close in this case is like close in horseshoes. It just not
> good enough.
> Here is the deal. there is no firewall or selinux running on any of the
> home network machines. The three machines have the following ip-s.
> 192.168.1.100   print server  hardwired to DSL router.  FC4
> 192.168.1.101   a print client with its own local printer. hardwired to
> the DSL router. FC5
>
> 192.168.1.106 wireless so ip may change. print client. FC4
>
> telnet ip-number 25 connects from any two machines.
> telnet ip-number 631 connects from clients to server.
> telnet ip-number 631 refuses connection from server to clients.
>
> With this state of affairs it is not surprising that cups printer
> browsing from server to clients does not work.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion where the problem may lie, how to find out
> and how to fix things?
----
I always just stop cups-config-daemon and make sure that it never turns
on at any run level.

As for the specific question...I wouldn't expect 'clients' to allow
connection on port 631, there's little reason for them to do so but if
you want to allow browsing on the clients, you have to
edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Obviously the server has to allow browsing for at least the computers if
not the whole subnet in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

the reason you shut off cups-config-daemon is to keep it from
overwriting manual changes that you make to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Thus a recap...

on the cups server, you would want to allow browsing/printing from the
local subnet (or the specific systems). You would want to shut off
cups-config-daemon on server. After you have done that, set up printers
and restart cups. If firewall permits local subnet to access port 631,
all local subnet computers should be able to automatically find/use the
printers on the cups server system. The settings for the printer are
'inherited' by the clients. The original settings for each printer are
inherited from the default settings in the printer driver itself so it's
probably best to get that working first.

Craig