file-copy corruption

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Tue Jul 4 23:55:53 UTC 2006

Hi Terry,

I think you mentioned you had RHEL 4, well I recommend that your rpm -e
rsync the version that comes with RHEL4, its very old, you can download
the FC5 src.rpm and rebuild it on RHEL4, it fixes a few bugs and offers
a few new features - that I certainly needed when copy 10TB data.

Also, in relation to (Justin's) gigabit speed, well there are a number
of factors which impact on the speed you see on the wire, these are
mostly using rsync over ssh - which is very slow because both ends most
do compression/decompression, but the biggest fact is disk
speed/buffering/caching, you'll notice that you get bursts at the start
of a copy then a big drop, this because your local disk cache was empty
and as soon as it fills up the you are basically transferring at
sub-disk speeds and the key to good speed is to keep the pipe full at
all times.

I also increased the read-a-head size using "blockdev --setra 16384
/dev/sdX"

Using 9K mtu may help if you have good Cisco switches, but that's
another story.

For best performance setup an rsync "server" and disable compression,
you should also be aware that if you have trillions of files and
billions of directories, this can really hog the server which may pi$$
off your users especially when you do your final rsync migration run.

Hope some of this is useful.

Albert.