Delayed Reaction in Fedora 5 (JAVA PLUGIN)

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 05:44:49 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am not sure if this is related to fedora 5 only (or particularly me
only). I am having problems of delayed reaction in my fedora 5
installation. Particularly, I tried to install the JDK from sun and
installed the java plugins for mozilla.

Installation part I followed the instruction from here:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java

for SElinux part I followed the instructions from here:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc5.html#java

Now there are few steps to describe how it went:

1) Mozilla can't detect the java plugin
2) fixed the SELinux settings:
	Allow the use of shared libraries with Text Relocation
	Allow executables to run with executable stack
3) Still not working
4) Reboot the Computer
5) Checked if this time it will work but mozilla still don't show the
java plugin
6) removed the symbolic link from mozilla plugin directory
7) relinked the java plugin to mozilla plugin again
8) now this time it worked.

Ok my problem is solved but left me with some confusion. My question is

why the symbolic link I created during the installation of java is not
working even after reboot and why i have to remove the previous link
and relink it again? Does it have something to do with how FC5 handles
the files ( like LVM)? Sorry, i am not expert but just curious only.

Thanks