FTP install using ISO

Karsten Hopp karsten at redhat.de
Thu Jul 6 08:29:21 UTC 2006

Hallo !

Sie schrieben am Donnerstag, den 06. Juli 2006:

> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >I have the iso file of FC5 in my FTP server. I want to do an FTP install
> >from it. I then use the mount -o loop file.iso command to provide the
> >files for installation.
> >
> >The problem is that it only works for 1 iso file at a time on that
> >particular mount point.
>
> This is why it's sometimes a better idea to download the DVD ISO even if
> you don't have a DVD reader/writer.
>
> >Can I mount multiple iso files into one mount point at the same time?
>
> Not usefully.
>
> What you could do would be to mount the five CD ISOs on different
> directories and then make symlinks to all of the files on all of them
> from a sixth directory, and then use the sixth directory as the place
> you install from.
>
> However, it would be *much* easier to do an NFS install, which can use
> the ISO images directly (just put them all in the same directory and
> point the installer at that directory) and doesn't need any of that
> messing about.
>
> Paul.

Just loopback mount the ISOs into directories disc1, disc2, disc3... and
point the installer at the disc1 URL.
>From anacondas install-methods.txt:
- FTP/HTTP (from a directory of loopback-mounted ISOs)
        files from CD #1, 'disc2/' for CD #2, etc.  These can be created on the
        server by loopback mounting the ISO images into these directories under
        the directory made available to ftp.

   Karsten

--
 Karsten Hopp <karsten at redhat.de>   GPG 1024D/70ABD02C
 Fingerprint D2D4 3B6B 2DE4 464C A432 210A DFF8 A140 70AB D02C