kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

Scott R. Godin scott.g at mhg2.com
Thu Jul 6 15:05:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 22:36 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> I guess there are also other factors behind the corrpution of
> directories and other problems (may be bug in fedora itself). but so
> far i haven't seen any weiredness in my box yet as mentioned before
> like directory corruptions. Its working well and I am happy.

no, that's the thing. it doesn't show up right away. everything runs
fine for weeks to months.. and then BOOM

What I'd HIGHLY recommend to you is this:

use tune2fs (manpage has details) to assign parameters to your various
partitions so that they get checked at boot time automatically
regularly. Why? well, the manpage points out:

"You should strongly consider the consequences of disabling
mount-count-dependent checking entirely. Bad disk drives, cables,
memory, and kernel bugs could all corrupt a filesystem without marking
the filesystem dirty or in error. If you are using journaling on your
filesystem, your filesystem will never be marked dirty, so it will not
normally be checked. A filesystem error detected by the kernel will
still force an fsck on the next reboot, but it may already be too late
to prevent data loss at that point."

I, being paranoid, set mine thusly, for example (for my / partition
among others):

tune2fs -c 25 /dev/sda3
tune2fs -i 3w /dev/sda3

so it gets automatically checked at boot time every 25 mounts or at most
3 weeks, whichever comes first. I did the same or similar with the rest
of my partitions, excluding only the non-ext3 (windows, swap, etc.)
partitions. If you never reboot, it'll never get checked, though.
However if you experience a crash, this will help cover your ass by
running fsck on the system if you're beyond the limit.

additionally, I set up a crontab entry to run rpm -Va once a week and
report to me when things have changed.

(I've already set up /etc/aliases to forward root's mail to my user
account, and ran newaliases to update the db)

(su -) to root (making sure to use '-' .. see man su for details why),
and then crontab -e, and enter the following:

 5 5 * * sun rpm -Va 2>&1

meaning:
  Run: rpm -Va 2>&1
  At: 5:05am every Sunday

I'm still picking up the pieces.. today I discovered that /usr/bin/cpan
had turned into a socket .. I still haven't replaced all the corrupted
files with fresh installs of their respective rpms, but am slowly
getting there a little bit at a time in between the work I'm doing.

good luck with it, but keep your eyes peeled for weirdness.