benq X805 wireless mouse erratic

Philippe A. futhark77 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 13:49:40 UTC 2006

Hello Tim,

> I have just purchased a Benq X805 wireless keyboard and mouse combo.
> > The keyboard works great. However, the mouse behaves erratically.
>
> I still see the same, sporadically, in FC4.  You'll touch the mouse, and
> it'll go wild.  Luckily, mine only seems to do it for a moment, not
> continuously as it used to with RH9.

What's the brand and type (PS/2 vs USB) of mouse you're using? Does it have
a wheel?

I'd, long since, come to the conclusion that there's something screwy
> with how Linux handles mice.  No amount of changing settings, mice, or
> motherboards, made any difference.  The situation is slightly better
> with USB mice (it happens far less often, but still does).

For my part I thought mouse support had become rock solid around FC1 or FC2,
when I could successfully use an MS mouse with IMPS/2 protocol. My current
experience forces me to review this assessment somewhat, but I don't think
Linux drivers are that far off. My current guess is that they're not
tolerant to variations of protocol implementations.

At this point I can't say the root problem is a buggy Benq mouse protocol, a
flawed driver in linux, or both. I will try to prove either one during the
week-end. In any case, it looks a bug report is about to be filed.