kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 broke ACPI S3 on thinkpad T42p

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 7 15:41:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 10:33 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Patrick wrote:
> > Does the command "vbetool vbestate save" return an error on your
> > laptop?  See man vbetool for more information about this app.
>
> No error returned.  It spewed some gibberish text at the screen and
> returned.  I suppose I'm supposed to redirect the output to a file or
> something?  The manpage didn't make that clear and I didn't do any
> searching to find an answer.

Yes you can redirect the output and pipe it back in when resuming. I
came across a script for an IBM T43 that had something like"

# save the video card state
vbetool vbestate save > /var/tmp/vbestate

-- suspend takes place and on resume it does: --

# reset the video card
vbetool post

# restore the video card
vbetool vbestate restore < /var/tmp/vbestate

See http://msevior.livejournal.com/7017.html

> I got my fill of hard reboots playing with this yesterday.  Until I
> run across some good documentation on how this is supposed to work or
> how to make it work on hardware very much like mine I'll live without
> suspend and hibernate.

Same here. Those reboots are quite difficult to get used too. I haven't
found the docs/tips/pointers to get suspend/resume going on my Acer
Ferrari 4005 laptop but in another post Dave Jones mentioned he would be
investigating things. Guess we need to wait for the next kernel update
that has some of his findings in there. If you care to reboot once more
(and do a DVD download) try the Ubuntu 6.06 live DVD. On my laptop it
suspended fine and resumed ok up to the point where it failed. At least
it showed semi-resume is possible :)

Regards,
Patrick