how to use crontab and cron.daily

nigel henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Jul 7 20:29:17 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 08:40, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- yogesh at banasdairy.coop wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > how can i use crontab and cron.daily
> > plese try to explain with example
>
> http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/newbie/unix/cron-1.htmlhttp://www.unixgee
>ks.org/security/newbie/unix/cron-1.htmlhttp://www.unixgeeks.org/security/new
>bie/unix/cron-1.html
>
> http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html/usr/share/man/man8/cron.8.gz
>
> working example:
> http://www.federicopistono.org/index.php?mod=Tutorial/Alarm_Clock
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

Hi. I'm interested in setting up a cronjob. I'm using FC2, and using the
working example, crontab -l returned "no crontab for <user-name>" , so using
the suggested syntax I added myself to /etc/cron.allow, but trying crontab -l
still get the same result. There are 2 files in /etc. /etc/crontab, and
etc/cron.allow.

/etc/crontab
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

Strangely on the other machine running FC2, I only have the crontab file
in /etc, but on both machines in /etc I have directories for crond, cron
daily. cron hourly, cron monthly, and cron weekly.

Services shows that crond is running, and anacron is stopped.

Any suggestions on how to set up a cronjob will be welcome.

Nigel.