how to get rid of spurious SATA error messages (FC5, X7DVL-E mobo, Intel ESB2 chipset)

Aleksey Tsalolikhin aleksey.tsalolikhin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 22:38:44 UTC 2006

Hi.  I have FC5 on a SuperMicro X7DVL-E motherboard, which provides 6
SATA ports using the Intel ESB2 chipset
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000V/X7DVL-E.cfm)

I have a couple of drives plugged in and I read all the files on them
and generate md5 checksums  using "find" and "md5sum".

I get spurious "AddrMarkNotFound" ATA errors, about 3 per second:

ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/05 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/13/00
ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
ata1: error=0x05 { DriveStatusError AddrMarkNotFound }

I say spurious because the read finishes fine, the md5 checksums are
correct, the drives are fine (they read fine on another system with no
errors), the cables are fine (I've also used them on another system
without errors)...  basically everything works, but I am getting these
error messages.  What gives?

Even tried blowing out the SATA connectors on the mobo and on the cable.

Thanks for any help,
-at