Install without CDROM or Network Boot

Ed K. ed at hp.uab.edu
Sat Jul 8 06:58:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Michael Harris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to put FC5 on a Gateway 9300 Laptop. It is about 5 years
> old and still has plenty of life left in it, except:

snip

> On the plus side, I do have a working Win98 installation in one
> partition and a working Redhat 9.0 release in another. I plan to scrub
> the RH9 partition & load FC5 on it, but keep the windows one.
>
> I looked into using the 'smart boot manager' but found that it cannot
> boot from USB devices.
>
> Is there any way to start the installation either from the Win98 side,
> or from the RH 9.0 side, reading from the USB CDROM instead?

well, yes there is, I'm guessing that you have tried other options, so
here is another one... copy these files to a directory under windows:

ftp://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/pub/linux/loadlin-1.6/update-1.6c/loadlin.exe.gz
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz

uncompress the loadlin.exe.gz file to loadlin.exe

Then exit windows, booting into dos, and run this command in the same
directory

loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img

Its been a while, so look at
http://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/~lermen/manual.txt
if there the above command gives an error

ed