Video Cam

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 21:39:17 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 16:05 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 17:04 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 11:54 -0400, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> > >
> > This is a webcam (where it perches atop your monitor and you wave at
> > folks on the fly in your pajamas with it?)  and not a digital picture
> > taking camera, say CHEESE type of thing with a flash and zoom and all
> > that?
>
> Correct, it's a webcam and NOT a digital camera.
>
> > > Install gthumb and gnome-volume-manager. The camera must have two modes:
> > > one for taking pictures, one for downloading them. Set it on download.
> > > Then plug it in, turn it on and the gthumb importer should pop up.
> >
> > That wouldn't work for a webcam would it? Where video is just captured
> > and streamed constantly? Regards, Ric
>
> I wouldn't think it would, as mine is a webcam that video is captured
> and streamed as you mentioned, not still.
>
> Mainly I'm looking for an OS driver that might work (module or
> whatever?) with this cam.  Although from what I have read so far from
> different searches, it seems not much if any out there (although, not a
> priority to get, so in no hurry and will even buy a cheap (Os supported
> one) some type down the road.

I'm sitting here with TWO of 'em... neither recognized by the vanity
webcam utility... I get this:
Vanity could not contact the webcam.
Reason: There is no input plugin to handle the location of this movie

WTF? I have no clue what that means, other than it don't work just yet.
I received a boatload of help on this issue, but when I go back to the
webpages, I get "really scared". It becomes confusing to the point of
inaction, on my part. Maybe I'll creep up on it, looking sideways until
I grok the darn thing.

But, my video camera from Kodak works very nicely and does what I want
it to. I'm happy as a clam with it. I just can't seem to get the
Logitech nor the Micro webcams to work. Oh yes, there are old
instructions that do not work with the new udev scheme where there is
no /dev/video device. So, some of what I've dnloaded is doomed to
failure from the git go. <boggles> If you figure it out, let me know.
Ric