mrtg config question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 9 09:42:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 22:25 -0700, Don Russell wrote:
> I just installed mrtg 2.13.2 on FC5 and noticed the sample config file
> in /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
>
> This file has LogDir defined as /var/lib/mrtg

There's a few things that do that, too (htdig, webalizer, etc.).  It
seem odd to me, as well, they are logs, not libraries.  I suppose you
might bugzilla it, on that point (that they're really in the wrong
place).  In other distros, that sort of thing would get a package
dropped.

> Part 2: (The fun part) :-)
>
> I created a new userid (mrtg) and created a little script to run
> cfgmaker and indexmaker, but now I don't know how to run mrtg so it can
> produce the graphs etc in /var/www/mrtg...

When I installed it, you configured it just the once.  And it already
had created a CRON entry that ran every five minutes.

> I suppose I could run mrtg as root... but I hate running stuff as root
> if not needed.

Don't know if it is needed, that might depend on what you're polling for
information.  I left it as-is.  Mine is just producing results for
traffic through my router, the only variable is the amount of data, no
address interpretation is involved, so I can't see how it can be
exploited.

> Or, how can I grant write permission so the mrtg user can write to
> /var/www/mrtg, but not other apache-owned files/directories?

Change the ownership of that directory to the same as mrtg.

I read messages from the public lists.