FC 5 installation on SCSI only server

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sun Jul 9 10:09:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 22:50 +0200, Marc Bruggeman wrote:
> Hi all,
> I wanted to install FC5 on a Dell PowerEdge server that is equipped with
> SCSI disks only,but i can't make it work.  The installation process
> stops and reboots the PC after message has been given that no media has
> been found to perform the installation.
> I have been trying to find information or documentation on how perform
> this installation but so far have not found any usefull information yet.
> Can someone explain how I can get this installation started, or where I
> can find the necesary information.

Marc,

You're not telling FC5's anaconda installer to use the correct driver
for your PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC) card. Depending on which Dell
server you have, it uses a PERC/2, PERC/3, or PERC/4 (newest) card. FC5
supports PERC/3 and PERC/4 cards with the megaraid driver. I believe
there are compile-time options for this driver that support earlier
PERC/2 and MegaRAID 428/466/... cards. With kernel-devel installed, see
the /usr/src/kernels/2.6.xxxxx/drivers/scsi/megaraid directory.

Once you select the megaraid driver, anaconda will then proceed using
the /dev/sd{a..z} device(s), add an scsi0 alias to /etc/modprobe.conf,
and build an initial ramdisk (using mkinitrd) in /boot so your server
can boot from a physical or logical (e.g. RAID0/1/5 array) SCSI drive
controlled by the PERC card. Subsequent kernel updates will
automatically create new initrd-xxxx.img files.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage
FC5 (2.6.17-1.2145) on IBM ThinkPad A22p
"Bob Costas for baseball commissioner"