Where can I find this firmware file?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sun Jul 9 22:32:46 UTC 2006

Some good news but its really bad news.  I was able to get a connection
to my WAP from my laptop with the bcm43xx driver.  This is really bad
news since I was only able to make this happen after I ran across this
item on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Dapper:

"I finally got the BCM4306 in my iBook working with the Dapper kernel.
Critical things for me (in addition to these docs) were: 1) Had to
change my network to use Open System authentication, it didn't work with
Shared Key...."

If I understand the various flavors of wireless encryption and
authentication correctly (which is very doubtful), this means that
someone else could connect and listen although my data would be
encrypted.  The door isn't wide open but its open more than requiring
key authentication in order to get a connection to my WAP.

Also, once I got the connection working I was able to recreate the hard
lockup by changing my WAP back to "shared key" authentication and then
using iwconfig to put the connection on the laptop into "restricted"
mode.  Ouch.  There is a "bcm43xx and WPA with Softmac HOW-TO" link on
the bcm project documentation page.  Unfortunately,
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/bcm43xx-dev/2006-April/001660.html
isn't allowing connections at the moment and there doesn't seem to be a
mirror or Google cache of the contents.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce