FC5 & Dell 2007FPW - Anybody got widescreen? - SOLVED, sort of..

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Mon Jul 10 01:37:19 UTC 2006

Having been fed up with the lack of a correct resolution I decided to
upgrade to fedora rawhide, I've been updating daily and messing about
with my xorg.conf to try and get this resolved without the need for
915resolution.

Over the weekend I logged into my work box, updated it  (Fedora Core
release 5.90 rawhide as of 20070709), then rebooted it.

To my happy surprise this morning I moved the mouse and when the screen
un-blanked it was at the correct resolution, no panning, nothing cropped
off the screen.  Ohh joy and happy days..

So, the package versions that might be of interest to people are :

xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.6.0-6.modeset20060707
xorg-x11-drivers-7.1-2
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.1.0-27.fc6

And my xorg.conf file is here :

[root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, a font server independent of the X server is
# used to render fonts.
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
#       Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
#       HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
#       VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "DELL 2007WFP"
        DisplaySize  434        272
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "dpms"
        ModeLine     "1680x1050" 146.2 1680 1784 1960 2240 1050 1053
1059 1089 -hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "i810"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "Intel Corporation 945G Integrated Graphics
Controller"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"