abiword with chinese

Yuandan Zhang yuandan.zhang at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 04:43:47 UTC 2006

On 10/07/06, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I try to use abiword with chinese, because it is much lighter than
> > OpenOffice. However, I have difficutty to display chinese. my system is
> >
> > Linux 2.6.17-1.2145_FC5 #1 Sat Jul 1 13:03:45 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386
> > GNU/Linux
> > abiword-2.4.5-1.fc5
> > I use gnome as my gdm
> >
> > if you have sucessfully made this  work, could you share the setup steps
> > with me?
>
> Could you explain in more details the problem you are having?
>
> I have just installed abiword and have no problem to compose in both
> Simplified and Traditional Chinese as long as I select the appropriate
> font.

I installed abiword, and start abiword as
export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8
abiword
(my default LANG is en_AU.UTF-8)

The abiword windows (such as File Edit View etc)  were tarnslated into
chinese. when I open a chinese MS document, chinese word are displayed as
small circles, english display is ok.  if i copy these texts into gedit,
evolution mailer, it displays right contents.
please share me advices

Yuandan

 Regards,