python-base rpm

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 12 13:52:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 09:27 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > This is sort of comment not exactly to the main point but to the
> > statement that python is already installed in FC4. I have a FC4
> > machine with , as far as I can see, python installed but idle is not
> > to be found. So there is something more to understand about python
> > under FC4.
>
> Idle is in the python-tools package.  You can use yum or google to
> find this out.

I am sorry I was being obscure. My point is that the installation of
python involves the installation of several rpms. So to say python is
installed does not mean all of python is installed. That is what
happened on one of my FC4 machines. All of my yum upgrading did not
install python-tools to add to the other 10 or so python related rpms I
had installed. I had to specifically yum install python-tools and some
other rpms that came along with it.

An artist should be fit for the best society and keep out of it.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net