How to get Luxi Mono in KDE konsole (FC5)

Konrad Karl kk_konrad at gmx.at
Wed Jul 12 13:46:22 UTC 2006

Hi list,

after a fresh FC5 install (mostly everything) and applying all
updates I seem to be unable to use Luxi Mono in the KDE
konsole - it is simply not being offered as a choice.

Googling around did not show anything substantial, the only
meaningful info I got was something about qt believing that
one of the four files of the Luxi Mono font family (normal,bold, etc) was
not considered as fixed width.

In the KDE control center font installation
all the Luxi fonts are listed as postscript type 1, however
they are installed as TTF as well:

xorg-x11-fonts-truetype-7.0-3  /usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF/luximb.ttf etc.
and
xorg-x11-fonts-Type1-7.0-3     /usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1/l047013t.pfa etc.

OTOH gnome terminal is able to use this font just fine but gnome terminal
has other shortcomings (no different color schemes per tab etc.)

However:

at home I am using a machine which has been updated from FC4 (and FC3)
and did not yet receive the latest FC5 KDE updates.
On this machine Luxi Mono shows up on the konsole font
selection dialog just fine.

Really annoying....

Any hints ane ideas highly welcome.

Greetings,