Wireless PCMCIA

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Jul 12 16:54:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, bruce wrote:

> [...]

It may not be a wireless chipset issue.

If the device does not show up with an "lspci" command then it is a
different issue.

It might be a cardbus card.  If you add "pci=assign-busses" to the kernel
line in /etc/grub.conf and reboot, it usually fixes this problem.

Wireless support is problematic due to the binary firmware for the
chipsets.  Since these do not have source, vendors are not willing to
distribute them.

It is harder than it should be.  But it is not impossible.  All it takes
is a bit of research and not buying the cheapest piece of crap at Fry's.

--
"I want to live just long enough to see them cut off Darl's head and
  stick it on a pike as a reminder to the next ten generations that some